FAQ & Support - How can I change my email account from POP3 to IMAP?
How can I change my email account from POP3 to IMAP?
IMAP is the email protocol that allows you to keep email and email folder content synchronized across devices, apps and applications. With POP3, however, you can only download emails from your inbox.
When is IMAP available to me?
IMAP is included in all our value-added rates: eclipso Connect, eclipso Premium and eclipso Business. If you are using our standard tariff eclipso Freemail, we recommend a tariff change so that you can use IMAP.
Change your POP3 account to IMAP
To ensure that no messages are lost, some points should be observed when switching from POP3 to IMAP. First open your e-mail client (e.g. Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc.) and proceed as follows:
- Deactivate your POP account in your e-mail client
- Create the IMAP account with your access data in your e-mail client
- Copy the local messages from the POP3 account to the IMAP account
- If you have created local folders in your POP3 account, copy them also into your IMAP account
- Synchronize the account (mostly with the button Retrieve / Send)
- Open a browser and log into your eclipso account
- Check if all emails and folders have been synchronized correctly.
- Delete your POP account.
If there is a large amount of data or if the connection is interrupted, the display in your online account may be delayed. If necessary, trigger the synchronization several times or again.